Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I miss you already

I miss you already. Yes, you.

This past weekend was a blast, and I can't wait to have more weekends like this to come!

After a long and tiring (but fun) weekend of Disney and outlet shopping, Nina, Krishna and I had dinner in St. Augustine. It was a great ending to a fun-filled weekend and the food was superb! Kudos to Nina for picking the restaurant- Collage.

I didn't know what to expect as Nina had done the research and made the reservations without consultation, but I was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere and unique twists on their dishes.

We started off with some fresh baked sourdough bread that came with a whole head of roasted garlic. The garlic was pungent and sweet and the warm soft bread was the perfect compliment. I almost ate the entire garlic head. Delicious.


I saw Foie Gras on the appetizer menu, so I of course had to get it. I was also intrigued by the cashew butter sauce- which ended up being delicious. 


They called it a PB&J foie gras dish, which sounds a little strange but it ended up being amazing. The light nutty flavor of the cashew butter with the sweet sauce (which you find a lot on foie gras dishes to balance out the heavy fattiness anyway) was perfect. The crunch of the large baked crouton and the mango chutney on top of the foie gras was lovely! The only thing bad about this dish, the foie gras itself. Way to use low-quality foie gras, Collage. It was almost impossible to cut clean with all the veins running through the liver! I suggest Collage invest in some higher quality foie, especially for this intricate dish that needs to be maneuvered very carefully!

Since I was a party pooper and got something that I couldn't share too easily, Nina and Krishna got the Brie for Two appetizer. The nutty brie with the flaky phyllo dough was great! Thanks for sharing, guys.



As for our entrees, Krishna got the only vegetarian option available- Butternut Squash Ravioli with winter vegetables. Nina got the Lobster Ravioli (with a 5 oz. lobster tail on top) and I got the Shrimp and Scallop All' Imperiale!






Butternut squash ravioli



Lobster Ravioli



Shrimp and Scallop All' Imperiale


Our entree presentations were nice (but not spectacular) and our food was pretty tasty. Krishna's ravioli were soft, fluffy and light while the cream pesto sauce over Nina's ravioli gave it a buttery decadent texture. My pasta dish was good- not too creamy. The seafood were also cooked perfectly. I would say Nina's dish won for the night- I love lobster.


Of course, Nina insisted on getting a dessert. Their signature Bougainvillea dessert.




The dessert had vanilla ice cream on top of sauteed, warm strawberries in a baked phyllo dough cup. The Phyllo was the most memorable part- so flaky and buttery.. mmmmmm

Although this place wasn't bad, I wouldn't say it was spectacular. The food was tasty, the protein was cooked correctly and the ambiance is nice. I would return again, but only after I've tried all the other great places in St. Augustine- I can't wait!

I also need to get used to the slow service down here in the South....

I'll miss you both- best of luck to Krishna on his epic adventure! Like I said, I miss you already.




Price: $$$
Food: B+
Ambiance: B+
Service: B

1 comment: