Monday, July 8, 2013

What a romantic town

So I recently heard the news about Mizz Paula Deen. I was just at her store in Georgia and felt compelled to buy a souvenir......... I'm sorry I gave her that $12.95.

Yes, that's right- I drove up North for 2 hours to visit the beautiful town of Savannah! Eric and I were getting a little bored in Jacksonville, so we thought we'd take a little road trip to explore more of the South.

We decided to head to Savannah to experience the beautiful sights and try the delicious food (boy, do we miss good food). We had a blast. We stayed at the Westin on the River and took the free ferry to the main town area and got to spend a good 2 full days in this beautiful town.

In addition to our private horse carriage ride, long walks around the majestic town and stuffing our faces with snacks and yummy southern food (and sweet tea!), we ended the trip with a beautiful dinner at Local 11 Ten. I don't mean to toot my own horn but... boy do we know how to end our trips well.

Local 11 Ten sources their ingredients and produce from local farms- so we definitely wanted to visit to taste delicious and fresh local items in our dishes. We looked at the menu and originally had a hard time choosing, but we finally narrowed it down to the quail, strawberry and blue cheese salad, scallops and the duck.


 Roasted Quail stuffed with blue cornbread stuffing



 Fresh Arugula Salad with local strawberries and blue cheese




 Seared Scallops with local peas, pearl onions and capers with a lemon vinaigrette




 
Seared Duck Breast with red wine reduction


 Ok, we really didn't narrow, we just ordered everything. And everything was good.

We started with the salad and quail. Eric's salad was light and fresh and the strawberries were so sweet and succulent! The quail was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The cornbread stuffing definitely made me feel like I was in the South!

My scallops were cooked perfectly, and again was very refreshing and light. Eric's duck was the heaviest dish of the night. It was cooked well and was very tender. Eric always gets his duck rare so I couldn't try too much of it. I prefer my duck a little more cooked.

The service was OK while the decor and ambiance was amazing. With the gorgeous huge panel windows that give you a view of the quaint street/homes and the abundance of natural lighting that the restaurant gets, the entire meal and experience was so refreshing!

The most interesting part of our dining experience was when the girl at the table next to us burned her hair on the table candle (she was fine). One of the servers walked through the entire restaurant with a sizzling pan of olive oil and rosemary and waved the rosemary plant all around and instantly removed the burnt hair smell- ingenious!

Not only did I have a good meal, I learned something too. What else could you ask for?

We ended that night with a stroll back to the ferry and a kiss by the water. What a romantic town :)




Lunch at Belford's and Sons


Price: $$$
Ambiance: A
Food: A-
Service: B

No comments:

Post a Comment